One of my “goals for the new year” was to “become a better theatre marketer”. Â So, when it came time for Keystone Theatre to announce a fund raiser, I jumped at the chance, and started coming up with a press release.
This was a bit of a blunder. Â I did a couple things I shouldn’t have done:
- I sent to an existing media list, without double checking to ensure that it was still valid, and happened to include a few really out of date contacts.
- I sent the email “in the clear”, with the recipients in the “TO” line of the email. Â Which is kinda bad form. Â It also displayed to everyone that received the message, the out of date recipients.
- This really wasn’t an event that needed a press release. Â Its an event and should have been sent to event listing desks at some of the Toronto weeklies, but not to the entertainment editors.
While this wasn’t a terrible disaster, it wasn’t exactly the best way to get out of the gate. Â Its a lesson learned, and something to be very conscious of in the future.